1. Home

Crafting with Elephant Poop

By August 26, 2008

Did I get your attention with the title of this blog post? You might think I typed it as a joke, but it is a serious question. I was walking around the Minnesota state fair this weekend and a gentleman at a booth handed me a business card for a company called Mr. Ellie Pooh. The business card he handed me along with the other products they had displayed are all made using 75% elephant dung. They had notebooks, stationary gift sets, and packs of paper in a variety of sizes. My daughter told me she has used this elephant dung paper before in her paper craft projects and loved it because it tears real nice. I am not sure how I feel about using paper made with elephant poop. How about you?

Would you make crafts and other paper projects using paper made out of elephant poop? (vote by clicking on your desired answer below)

See the poll results.

If you would like to share your opinion about this poll, please use the Comments option below. Thanks for participating and don't forget to tell all of your friends and family to cast their vote!
RELATED:
- Paper Crafts
- How to Make Paper
- Paper Folding
- Elephant Crafts

Comments

August 26, 2008 at 11:53 am
(1) Kate says:

Great idea – and very earth friendly too!! Kate

August 26, 2008 at 12:06 pm
(2) katie says:

I just wish it weren’t so expensive…You can’t tell me it really costs them a ton of money to get said doo-doo…

August 26, 2008 at 12:11 pm
(3) Marion BE says:

Ellies are vegetarians, so their poop is wonderfully fibrous, perfect for paper making. I first encountered it through Scarab Paper, on South Africa’s Garden Route.

August 26, 2008 at 12:46 pm
(4) Susan Adcox says:

Considering the amount of poo in the world, both human and other animals, I think that any way that we can turn it into something useful is a huge plus!

August 26, 2008 at 12:50 pm
(5) Heidi Coghlan says:

This is great! Freaked me out at first until I read that elephant poo is mostly cellulose. Makes good sense. How is it sanitary, though? Hmmm. Adorable products!

August 26, 2008 at 1:23 pm
(6) Laura S. says:

I used to manage a frame shop; and had a customer who brought in some artwork done on this type of paper. The info leaflet included with the art explained that most of the massive amounts of food eaten by elephants passes through their system undigested. The fibrous material is, of course, rinsed many times over before being made into paper. But they still recommend washing your hands after handling the paper.

August 27, 2008 at 11:09 am
(7) Beth says:

What a cool idea! I love both the green aspects, and the metaphor embedded in taking crap and making it into something beautiful and worthwhile.

August 28, 2008 at 2:32 pm
(8) Greta says:

Ah, another Minnesotan! I was handed a “sample of poo” myself, at the fair on Tuesday, only to come home and see your post! Now that’s recycling at it’s best.

August 29, 2008 at 9:23 am
(9) Cyndi L says:

Thank you for my morning laugh! I snorted tea out my nose when the title popped up (or is that pooped up?) LOL!!

September 7, 2008 at 2:09 pm
(10) Abs says:

Wow, that’s really different. I might would use it but it is kinda disgusting! LOL Using Poop for scrapbooking etc.????? Not to sure about it. But it was a funny post needless to say!

October 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm
(11) Narayan says:

Oh ! its wonderful to know about elephant poop paper. I am from Nepal and some of rural villagers in Chitwan are also making this elephant poop paper. Their quality may not be like here you find in US, but you can always refine this. They have sent some photos to me if I can help them market their products. This is a environmentally friendly products and lot of poor people would get benefit from it. Please let me know if you would like to know more about it.

November 7, 2008 at 9:31 pm
(12) KATHY says:

Yes I would try it to save our enviroment and
elephants .
My son and I did see a special on the animal
planet when he was about 5 years old and he thought it was disgusting and now he is 6 so
now he thinks its funny I would love totake a bunch of this paper to his classroom and after they used the paper tell them what it was mad of . ha ha

January 7, 2009 at 7:15 pm
(13) charemaine OwO neko says:

Eww! Why would ANYONE make paper out of elephent POO?

January 8, 2009 at 12:53 pm
(14) Mary says:

Mythbusters did a segment on making highly polished balls with animal poo. It was incredibly interesting, seeing the end product you would never guess what they were made of!

January 11, 2009 at 1:28 pm
(15) Judy says:

I have seen earings made from moose poop

February 16, 2012 at 7:18 pm
(16) Julie says:

I just laugh when I think of the person who saw an elephant poop and said, “hey, I think I’ll make some paper!”