1. Home

What is Your Favorite Crafting Holiday?

By September 9, 2008

Of course, there are plenty of crafts to be made for every major and minor holiday, but I am wondering which holiday is the most popular with the most people when it comes to making crafts. My first instinct is to say Christmas, but it seems like my site is more active with people looking for creative Halloween projects. What holiday season inspires your creativity the most? (vote in the poll by clicking on your choice below)
Did you check out the results? Are you surprised by them or are they exactly what you would suspect? You can explain your answer and share your comments using the comments link below. How do you think I voted? If you want to vote in more Family Craft Polls, check out these:
Is there a poll you would like to see posted here? If so, feel free to ask!
RELATED:
- Holiday Crafts
- Learn a Craft
- Submit a Craft

Comments

September 9, 2008 at 8:04 pm
(1) Susan Adcox says:

I think people are too busy at Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa to take on major craft projects. In my area, judging from outdoor decorations, Halloweeen is the next biggest holiday. The number of people with outdoor decorations for Halloween rivals the number who decorate for Christmas. So I’m not too surprised that Halloween is the favorite crafting holiday, although I voted for Christmas.

September 9, 2008 at 9:48 pm
(2) Katherine says:

I’m not surprised. I voted for Halloween because the creepy decorations are the most fun to make! Plus, I agree with Susan that it’s a pretty easy holiday to prep for, so there’s more time to craft!

September 10, 2008 at 12:24 am
(3) Gloria Bell says:

I would have voted for Christmas, except you lumped it in with Hanukkah and Kwanza. I think Hanukkah should have had its own listing, and, Kwanzaa isn’t even a legitimate holiday/celebration, so I don’t know why you even stuck it in there. It’s just a made-up thing some black professor named Karenga decided to hockey up back in 1966 to stir up racial divisiveness. If that’s your idea of a holiday, then I guess this poll is kind of meaningless, isn’t it? Even Halloween has its roots in a real celebration, All Hallow’s Eve, or Samhain to the ancient Celts and the modern day pagans. This political correctness really takes all the fun out of things. I’m sure there will a lot of hanky-stomping and gnashing of teeth over my comments, with howls of ‘racism! racism!’ but rest assured there is nothing racist or bigoted in my comments. Just a quiet, sad dismay at the way political correctness has everyone afraid to let Christmas be Christmas without feeling the need/guilt that was engineered by people bent on getting something for nothing. I ask you, since Kwanzaa is an artificially constructed ‘celebration’, then why did Karenga feel the necessity to place it on the calendar starting the day after Christmas? Why not right around their ‘Juneteenth’ that they also created? Why try to detract from Christmas and/or Hanukkah? So pardon me for feeling disgusted that this otherwise entertaining web site has fallen into lockstep with the guilt-ridden sheeple who let things like Kwanzaa insinuate into their daily lives. Oh, and I don’t care if you’re yellow, red, black, brown, white, or green with purple polka-dots. I wish EVERYONE a very nice day.

September 10, 2008 at 12:44 pm
(4) Beth says:

Manufactured holiday? Yes. But, every holiday had to start somewhere, I suspect. *wry grin*

I like getting stuff ready for Christmas, but then, I like being able to individualize the gifts I give that I also create. I love Halloween, but…gee, I don’t wait for that one day in the year to be, um, eccentric. ;)

September 10, 2008 at 12:54 pm
(5) familycrafts says:

Love the comments so far… Just want to clarify one thing. I was not really trying to be ‘PC’ when I lumped Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa togeher. I was just trying to save on space. :-)

Since each of these holidays are observed at about the same time of year, and since most people that would observe one of the holidays do not observe the others, I intended for people to vote for that option if they celebrated one of those observances. Sorry for any confusion!

I also lumped Mother’s Day and Father’s Day together. :-)

~~ Sherri

September 10, 2009 at 3:10 pm
(6) sandrar says:

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.