1. Home

Shotgun Shell Necklace

By November 7, 2008

You if you are a regular visitor, you might remember in a blog post awhile back I raved about a project posted on Stefanie Girard's Sweater Surgery site. She had used spent shotgun shells to create jewelry. Living in a house full of hunters, I just loved this idea and begged my outdoorsmen to save their used shells when they were out duck hunting. As you can see in the photo here, these necklaces were very simple to make (I simply glued a silver bead to the side of the shotgun shell) and my hunters love them. I followed these directions that Stephanie shared. Thanks Stephanie!
RELATED:
- Necklaces to Make
- Jewelry Making
- Recycling Crafts

(Photo © 2008 Sherri Osborn licensed to About.com, Inc.)

Comments

November 7, 2008 at 7:05 pm
(1) Julie says:

I bet you could sell a lot of these at gun shows. My daughter’s father in law is a dealer.

November 8, 2008 at 11:27 pm
(2) Kim says:

thes are nice.. and i can see many hunters enjoying these as chains and key ring chains as well.. when i saw the post’s title i was a little afraid to see what it was about but i am very pleased to see something so simple and useable by any hunter/shooter etc..
thes wilmake great giufts for teh hunters i know!!

November 13, 2008 at 11:42 am
(3) Vivi Zaftig says:

I am completely shocked to see this craft on your site.
For all the MANY people who are realizing the slaughter of animals is part of the violence on this planet, for the MANY people who are vegan, including teens and younger kids who have the choice, for the MANY people who know that guns are taken too lightly and take lives, both human and animals for nothing but sport, this is a craft you need to consider NOT promoting. There are so many other crafts that why include something that part of your readership will find appalling!

November 13, 2008 at 12:39 pm
(4) Mary says:

Please realize there are two sides to every issue and this is not the place to take up this issue. It is not promoting anything other than recycling a typically wasted item. If a craft doesn’t appeal to you, skip it!

November 13, 2008 at 1:47 pm
(5) Tina says:

Not everyone that shoots a gun kills things. I shoot a shot gun twice a week. I shoot Clay games, ( Trap & Skeet). I could never shoot a living thing. Creative idea!
Tina

April 27, 2009 at 12:11 pm
(6) JLG says:

I was excited to see this site. My grandfather was honored with a 21 gun salute at his funeral last year and I’ve kept a shell on my keychain as memorabelia-but this would be more suitable. I think I’ll have a local jeweler put it on a silver chain for my grandmother for Mother’s Day. I know she’d likek the sentiment.
Thanks!

February 1, 2011 at 11:50 am
(7) Stacy says:

Please keep in mind most of the hunters hunt as a means of feeding their famlies… Not for “trophy hunting”.

June 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm
(8) Lexi says:

Seriously? Some people just shoot at targets for recreation. Over react much?

March 31, 2013 at 3:17 pm
(9) Elaine says:

One big question..since the shotgun shell base is not flush on the back, what do you use on the back??? Ty Elaine