1. Home

How to Recycle Christmas Cards

By December 26, 2012

After Christmas, or any occasion, what do you do with all the beautiful greeting cards you receive? Do you pack them away? Do you throw them away? Forget those ideas and recycle those used greeting cards! Here are some ideas to get you started. Can you think of others?

RELATED:
- More Recycling Crafts
- Submit a Craft
- Explore Holidays

(Photo submitted by Edith)

Follow me on Twitter | Join me on Facebook

Comments

December 31, 2008 at 5:56 am
(1) Cathy says:

I have been collecting used Christmas Cards and Greeting cards, and last year received over 3,000 of them to recycle. I cut the tops off of them, and send them to children’s hospices, kindergartens, and eldery homes. They are always happy to get them, and it’s a great project for me to start after the Holidays.

January 1, 2009 at 9:41 am
(2) Mary Meaker says:

I use old Christmas cards to decorate our shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. It is much easier than wrapping the shoeboxes and the cildren love the project of helping. I also make new cards using the fronts of Christmas cards.

January 1, 2009 at 11:06 am
(3) Becky says:

My mother in law cuts the front of the card off and uses them as gift tags. It recycles the card.

January 2, 2009 at 3:13 pm
(4) mcmom says:

I use old Christmas cards to make tray favors
for Meals-on-Wheels. Sometimes backed with
cardstock and sometimes with added glitter.
A magnet on the back and they’re all ready!

December 29, 2010 at 2:22 pm
(5) Bethany says:

I cut old xmas cards the size of bookmark( added a punch hole in top and cord looped through) and made xmas bookmarks and donated to the local library to give out at xmas time..patrons loved them..

December 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm
(6) Trisha says:

Department stores and gift shops often use attractive bags for merchandise but they have the store’s name and logo. Cut the front of the cards off and use double stick tape to attach them to paper shopping bags to cover store logos. Your shopping bags become gift bags and you recycle two products at once.

January 6, 2011 at 9:02 pm
(7) Steph at Modern Parents Messy Kids says:
December 29, 2011 at 8:36 am
(8) Barb says:

Don’t throw away your christmas cards, send them to the St. Jude Recyled Card Program. Click the link for more details.
Recycled Card Program | St. Jude’s Ranch
WE NOW ACCEPT USED, ALL-OCCASION CARDS YEAR ROUND!! You can mail your donations to: St. Jude’s Ranch for Children Recycled Card Program 100 St. Jude’s Street Boulder City, NV 89005..

January 3, 2012 at 10:28 am
(9) Janice says:

I worked in elementary school libraries for 26 years. I always gathered as many cards (not just Christmas but birthday, etc) as people wanted to donate and cut them up for bookmarks. It doesn’t matter whether they are for the right season or not; the kids loved them. I could usually get 3 bookmarks from one card.

January 1, 2013 at 7:25 pm
(10) Subattle says:

It is beautiful. I will try make it thank you very much

January 2, 2013 at 2:02 pm
(11) Kathi says:

St. Jude’s no longer does the greeting card program. Any more ideas on recycling used greeting cards?

January 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm