1. Home

A Controversial Craft Kit?

By February 21, 2013

I came across a craft kit online that at first made me laugh, but then I was kind of , um, grossed out I guess is the best words... Take a peak for yourself:

This site claims that each kit teaches "project planning skills and helps develop fine motor skills, concentration, and creativity." I would think it would also teach kids it is okay to play with your chewing gum. How many times do you have to tell your kids to leave gum in their mouths when they are chewing it?

Honestly, while I would have no interest in trying this craft, I could see how kids might love it. Would you be interested in making your own "Gum Art" or having your kids try this? Would you be more worried about sending the wrong message about playing with their "food" or about the germs involved with kids putting their hands in and out of their mouths?

RELATED:
- How to Pick Craft Kits for Different Ages
- Before You Buy A Craft Kit
- Craft Kits for Kids

Follow me on Twitter | Join me on Facebook

Comments

May 3, 2007 at 9:30 am
(1) Pam says:

Ewwwww… as much as the thought makes me queasy, somehow I think kids would love it! Ick, though! Not my kids … not in my house! Can you imagine presenting the finished masterpiece to Grandma for Mother’s Day? “Look Granny, look what Junior chewed for you!”

May 3, 2007 at 12:11 pm
(2) Amy says:

I think that any activity these days which encourages kids to be creative rather than sitting glues to the TV or computer is worth a try. Yes, it may be sticky…but what kid wouldn’t love it?

May 3, 2007 at 2:26 pm
(3) Kari says:

Did you see that you can buy a completed kit that someone ELSE has chewed for you? Ish!

May 3, 2007 at 4:03 pm
(4) familycrafts says:

I had not even noticed that you can purchase “ABC” art!

May 3, 2007 at 4:42 pm
(5) Faye says:

It is a great way for kids to express themselves and they would enjoy it also. You can then spray the finished dry artwork with a polyurethane coating that would take care of any “sanitation” issues.

March 7, 2013 at 12:18 pm
(6) nana63 says:

if doing with more than 1 child, give lots of room between them.
use plastic gloves, spray finished picture with hair spray, shellac, acrylic finish or seal with white glue. finger paint paper can be sprayed before use.