- Go on a treasure hunt and look for items that will create a lovely sound when they collide, such as seashells, bells, beads, and stones.
- If the items are thin enough, poke a hole through them with a nail or hole punch. Then pull a piece of string or nylon thread through each hole, and tie a knot.
- For heavier objects, such as stones, wrap the string around the object a few times, and rub non-toxic liquid glue over the string to hold it in place.
- Next, find a colorful plastic lid to serve as the top of the wind chime.
- Poke holes through the top, and pull the pieces of string or nylon thread through the holes; tie a knot at each end.
- Finally, punch two holes in the center of the top, and loop a piece of string through the holes. Tie another knot, and hang your wind chime from a nail or the branch of a tree.
Sheila Ellison is an avid gardener in Northern California and the mother of four.