- Age Guideline: 12 Years and Up
- Time Required: 30 minutes (Does not include drying time)
The above age and time guidelines are estimates. This project can be modified to suit other ages and may take more or less time depending on your circumstances.
- Paraffin wax
- Coconut oil
- Petroleum jelly
- Candy melts (to color the gloss and make it taste sweet)
- Oil-based candy flavoring (if you want a special flavor)
- Wax paper
- Ziploc bag
- Small container (recycle old makeup containers or 35mm film containers, or look in stores that carry beads, crafts, or fishing tackle)
Grate some paraffin wax onto wax paper. Measure 1/4 teaspoon grated wax into the plastic bag. Add 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 1 teaspoon petroleum jelly, and 1 candy melt. Add 1/8 teaspoon oil-based candy flavoring if you like.
Seal the bag and carefully put it in a bowl of hot tap water to melt ingredients, about 3-5 minutes. (Use tap water! Never use a microwave or stove to heat the water).
Once all the ingredients are melted, remove the bag from the water. Squish ingredients around in bag to mix; work quickly! Clip off a tiny corner of the bag and squeeze gloss into the clean container. Let it set for an hour, or put it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
There you go! Use a cotton swab instead of your finger to apply gloss. Your lip-gloss should last a long time. If it changes color, odor, or texture, though, throw it away.