- Age Guideline: 6 Years and Up
- Time Required: 45 minutes (Does not include drying time)
The above age and time guidelines are estimates. This project can be modified to suit other ages and may take more or less time depending on your circumstances.
- 5 empty Toothpaste Tubes
- Clear Tape
- Ribbon or Plastic Laneyard Laces
- Hole Puncher
- Binder Clips
- Collect five Colgate® toothpaste tubes. Clean them by cutting off the bottom and slipping your scissors into the side seam. Flatten them out and clean with soap and water.
- Cut four tubes to 3 1/2” x 4 1/2” and one tube into a 3 1/2” x 3 1/2” square. Fold down the top 1/2” of the four rectangular tubes and tape.
- Take one of the four rectangles and punch holes every 1/2” along the two tall sides and along the short bottom side that is not folded. Use this punched piece as a template and punch holes in the exact same spots on the other three rectangular pieces.
- To punch the small square piece, line up the short punched side of the rectangle piece with any side of the short piece. Repeat punching holes for the other three sides of the square using the short side of the rectangular piece as a template. Also punch two holes near the center of the square. This will be the bottom of the container and the holes will be for drainage.
- Match up two large pieces and lace up one side tying it off at the top and bottom. Open it up. On one of the non-laced ends, attach to the next rectangular piece in the same way with the printed sides facing out. Repeat for each additional rectangular piece. When you’ve laced all four pieces, connect the two end pieces together and lace creating a cube with your pieces.
- Match up the square piece with the bottom of the container. Use binder clips to hold it in place. Lace around the bottom of the container and tie it off. You’re ready to put your upcycled toothbrush holder into action.
If you have completed this project and still have more toothpaste tubes and other oral care products to upcycle, be sure to sign up for TerraCycle’s Colgate Oral Care Brigade and send them in!