The Bottom Line
- Unique and creative
- Easy to paint
- Kit comes with everything you need
- The eraser pads could be easier to use
- I did have some small chips out of my paint job
- Kit includes 1 pair of boots, 6 colors, 32 erasing pads, 2 paint brushes, 1 pallet, instruction book, and reusable bag.
- Suggested for kids over 3 years old.
- Boots come in sizes for kids, teens, and womens.
- The paint is "children friendly, non-toxic colors conforming to CE, EN 71 part 9, ASTM F 963 and ASTM D 4236".
- The erasing liquid is "safe for children’s use, The pads conform with CE, EN 71 & ASTM F-963, TRA EU + U.S.".
- You can buy refill kits of the paint and erasers.
Guide Review - MyDesign Paintable Boot Kits
After about 28 hours, I slipped on my boots and went outside. Luckily we had a couple of warm days so the melting snow gave me some nice puddles. My feet were submerged is freezing cold, ankle deep water for about 45 minutes. Although they have a warm liner you can buy, my feet stayed fairly warm. My paint job did not come out of the puddle in the same condition it went in though. There were some small areas where they paint looked like it scratched off a little bit. I was fairly brutal on the boots, even bumping against ice chunks. Considering the cold water, long exposure and being bumped against the ice, the paint did hold up much better than I would have expected! Maybe next time I will let the boots dry for the 48 hour “optimum” suggested in the directions.
Erasing the paint job is where my challenge came in. While I will admit the paint came off nicely with the eraser pads, the pads are small and hard to handle. It took me almost the entire package of them to erase my boots and it took quite awhile. Again though, they did ‘magically’ erase the paint that did not even wash off with soap and water. I also ended up with some paint stuck on the fingers I used with the pads. Bigger pads would work much better than the small pads!
Despite the few glitches I found, I think this is a unique and fun project that will be enjoyed by both kids and adults!