Name of Costume
Styrofoam (a big sheet)
Spray paint (whatever color you want the board to be)
Some way to cut the Styrofoam
A way to glue the Styrofoam
Something to write with
Cut the Styrofoam to the size you want the board. Create two four-faced shapes, like a box with the back cut off with the cut off Styrofoam. Glue these to the Styrofoam sheet near the bottom. Spray paint the board (if you want plain white, don't spray paint). Attach the ribbon to the top of the Styrofoam so you can hang it around your neck. Fill one pocket with paper, and the other with thumbtacks. If you want to keep messages family-friendly, stick a note on there that says so.
Tips and Tricks
- Do NOT use regular glue! It will eat away the Styrofoam releasing toxic gasses! The glue cannot have a solvent, and must be suitable for a non-porous material. Hot glue will not work either.
- You might want to arrange the thumbtacks across the top of the board for easier access (and to avoid pricked fingers). If you do this, omit one of the pockets.
- You might want to have your writing utensils on the board. Just poke holes in the Styrofoam and use that!
- The paint can make it a little harder to stick the thumbtacks in. Just leave that off if you're concerned about that.
- Go through doors sideways! :-)