Name of Project
Recycled Black Boards
Ages This Project is Suitable For
Teen to Adult
Approximate Time Required to Complete This Project
Approx. One week
Old School Black Boards, real mahogany wood for frames, a high speed diamond blade saw, Small table router, Sander, Sandpaper, Wood or composite glue, silicone sealer, Wood protector either outdoor or indoor depending on use. Some winery tasting rooms use outdoor signs, in home communication in the kitchen uses in door.
Locate Old School Black Boards, remove the frames try to recycle the frames if possible. Measure then mark using chalk lines or string with color chalk rubbed on string to snap a straight line for cutting. I choose 15"x11" with frame that equals 16"x 12".
Layout the whole old board on saw horses then while wearing eye protection & dust masks, while vacuum running cut long lengths first then finish cutting short lengths. Mild sand the very edge of cut edges to remove all burs and sharp edges.
Use small table router to cut long 1/4 slit in frame wood use sand paper to widen slit just a little for easy fit black boards. Cut angle 45 cuts for the frames make sure the angle match up fitting all matching pieces first then finish sanding all cut pieces then applying glue in cut channels and some on matting ends using wood clamps to hold until the glue dries, then sand again. Use silicone to fill all the cracks sand again and apply wood protector for either out door or in door. Mild wet sand between coats to remove any raised uneven wood protector.
I use small sponges for erasers, and new white chalk and cardboard protected corners and shrink rap the whole boards for shipping.
Tips and Tricks
- Carefully remove old fragile black boards
- Carefully measure and double check each measurement
- Take your time if you rush it will reflect in results
- If you do not have the equipment get quotes from shops
- Track of your expenses and supplies not run out
- Make sure you treat slate dust with caution.
- Secure all work in all above process
- Wear protected gloves, safety glasses and take breaks.
- Do not rush take time to double check your work.