Wednesday March 5, 2014
I just published an article on How to Make Perfume Using Essential Oils, and thought a good blog post that would compliment that article is how to make dog cologne using essential oils.
Let's face it, not all dogs smell great. Since it isn't a good idea to give your dog a bath on a daily basis, you can create your own dog cologne to use in between baths.
The important thing is to select an essential oil that is safe for use around dogs. My preference is to use either eucalyptus essential oil or cedarwood essential oil because they both help to repel fleas. You can certainly use something else like orange or lavender, which emit very pleasant odors.
Mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the contents of one vitamin E capsule, and 15 drops of the essential oil of your choice in a small bowl. Rub this mixture into a bandana that you can use as your dog's collar. You can certainly put it on your dog's collar if you wish, but it may be harder to clean than a bandana. You can also drip a few drops right on your pet (stay away from the face area) instead.
Friday February 28, 2014
I just bought my nephew a bean bag chair. It came in a giant box, so immediately he wanted to play with the box (forget about the $50 bean bag chair). I can remember my dad turning large television boxes into playhouses for me and my sister, so I decided to do that for my nephew.
I added a picture of him peaking his head out the window of the box. Windows are easy to make. You simply use a box cutter and cut a straight line down the center. Then cut across the top and bottom going left, and then repeat that on the right side.
Next, I added a door. I just cut across the top from right to left, then down the center, and then across the bottom from left to right.
The picture doesn't show the box decorated, but I did give my nephew the freedom to decorate his box playhouse any way he liked. Kids can paint their playhouses, color on them with crayons or markers, glue pictures to them from magazine cut-outs, or bombard them with stickers.
Here's another giant box playhouse made from a refrigerator box:
Friday February 28, 2014
Each month I like to create a post that recaps all of the articles I published during the month, just in case you missed one that you'd like to give a try. Here are the articles for February.
1. How to Make Your Own Dinosaur Egg: Kids can create their own egg that contains a dinosaur at the center. Then the kids get the chance to dig the dinosaur out of the egg.
2. Edible Crafts: Dirt Cups: What kid wouldn't enjoy a delicious dessert that looks like worms escaping from the soil after a rainy day?
3. How to Make Shrinky Dinks: Shrinky dinks were popular when I was a kid, and they haven't lost their charm. Kids can make an unlimited amount of characters and objects and then watch them shrink magically in the oven.
4. President's Day Story Wheel: Spend some time teaching your kids about the presidents with this simply story wheel craft.
5. Abe Lincoln and George Washington Masks: In honor of President's Day, children can create Abe Lincoln and George Washington masks and pretend to be the famous presidents.
6. Valentine's Day Toilet Paper Butterfly Craft: Celebrate Valentine's Day with this cute butterfly made from a toilet paper roll and some construction paper.
7. Tissue Paper by Number Valentine's Day Card: Create a Valentine's Day card for a teacher, friend, or loved one out of tiny pieces of tissue paper.
8. The Basics of Applying Glitter Tattoos: What child doesn't love glitter? This articles teaches you how to apply glitter tattoos.
Feel free to visit my over at my Family Crafts Facebook page for more craft ideas!
Sunday February 23, 2014
This week Hobby Lobby has a coupon for 40% off one item at regular price. Hobby Lobby is one of my favorite craft stores because it has almost everything I need to complete my projects. It also has a good number of unique gifts at decent prices. Unfortunately, the nearest store is 35 minutes away, so I don't there as often as I'd like.
If you live near a Hobby Lobby, click HERE to gain access to the coupon for 40% off. The coupon is good until March 1st.
Michael's craft store also often has 40% and 50% off coupons. Since I live closer to Michael's, I head there once per week to use my coupon, rather than buy everything all at once for full price. I am big on saving money whenever possible. I also like to stock up on expensive craft kits because I can get them at half price.
You can check out my latest craft article here: How to Make Your Own Dinosaur Egg
Feel free to join me over on Facebook at my Family Crafts page!