1. Home

How to Make a Safety Pin Watch

By February 5, 2009

A visitor named Nanajo60 visited the Family Crafts Forum and posted a request for directions for making a watch made using beads and safety pins. Has anyone tried this? I am going to go search for directions and perhaps experiment a bit and I will post my findings on the Family Crafts Forum. If you know how to make this project or a good source of directions, please take a moment and post a reply to Nanajo60.
RELATED:
- Post on the Family Crafts Forum
- How to Make Beaded Safety Pins
- Jewelry Making

Comments

August 29, 2009 at 11:57 am
(1) shonda campbell says:

I actually just purchased a watch like this. It is adorable and very fun to wear.

August 30, 2009 at 1:02 pm
(2) pam says:

So, could you describe how it looks? How it is put together? Any more info please.

December 31, 2009 at 2:26 am
(3) Tammi Beames says:

I would very much like the directions for the safety pin watches. I have purchased them, but would like the directions to make them. Thank you.

April 19, 2010 at 1:06 pm
(4) Frieda says:

I am trying find safety pins for the safety pin watches and I need 1 1/4 inch. I can’t find them anywhere!! Do you know where to find them? I have found 1 1/16″ – too small. 1 1/2 – too big. These seem to be the standard size everywhere excecpt China and Uk but I can’t get them to ship here or they have an extreem moq. (too big for a small bussiness.) Any help would be greatly appreicated!!!
Frieda

April 20, 2010 at 10:05 am
(5) familycrafts says:

Hi Frieda… I am having a tough time finding 1 1/4-inch safety pins anywhere… Standard pin sizes are posted here: http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/beadedsafetypins/a/080700e.htm

However, I did run across this pin which says it is a #1 and is 1 3/16 inches long, which is close. The site says for extra fees it will ship overseas:

May 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm
(6) April says:

occreations.net has the safety pins you need. I just found them at that website. I want to make one too. Just purchased one from a retail store for less than $10. It has 80 safety pins. Each one is turned the opposite direction so it’s not bulky on one end. They use micro beads in multi colors. You also need 0.7m(i think) elastic band. You need one piece you can double. You will start on one end of the watch and run it through both holes on the watch face. Like you do when you begin lacing a new pair of tennis shoes. then the strings runs through the ends of the safety pins. On the other side of the watch face, I cant’ tell exactly how they fastened it but it looks like they just kept twisting it together and stuffed it into the end of the watch face. Also they use a type of glue to glue the safety pin shut but I have had one come open the week after Ibought it. occreations.net sells their bracelets for $21.99.

May 30, 2010 at 9:20 pm
(7) EB says:

I just bought the 1 1/4 inch pins yesterday at Michael’s.
Blue pkg, Jewelry Essentials Findings, 200 pieces for …. I think it was $2.99 or 3.99.
I bought a watch and wanted to duplicate it.
Need to find the watch faces. They have small ones at Michaels but I want the larger faces. Will probably find them at FireMountainGems.com or Ringsnthings.com

October 8, 2011 at 12:36 am
(8) mistyladyinred says:

I .found large face watches at jo ann fabrics