- Before you start planning the details of your party, other than the date, you might want to decide on a theme for your party. For help with picking a theme, perhaps one of these books will help.
- Once you know the date and theme, you can start filling out invitations. Instead of buying invitations, consider making your own.
- You can print out and assemble fun party supplies such as favor bags and party hats and even create fun birthday-themed coloring book pages.
- Ahead of time, you can create some home-made birthday party favors and noise makers. You can also wait and have the party goers make these during the party.
- A popular item you will find at birthday and other parties are pinatas. Instead of spending your money on a store-bought pinata, follow these directions and make your own.
- Finally, if you are throwing the party for someone else, don't forget to make a special gift, gift tags, and card to give to them.
(Photo © 2013 Sherri Osborn licensed to About.com, Inc.)