Follow the steps below to make your own cookies in a jar. Start out by gathering the basic supplies you will need. Then pick a recipe and gather together those ingredients. Finally, you can fill and decorate the jar. Don't forget to print out a recipe gift card to give along with the jar.
Gathering SuppliesStart off by gathering these basic supplies. You will use the same basic supplies no matter what cookie recipe you choose.
- Quart Size Canning Jars with Lids
- Scrap Fabric
- Recipe and Required Ingredients (below)
Filling the JarFollow these simple instructions when you are ready to start filling your jars with the cookie ingredients.
- Thoroughly wash and dry the jars and lids.
- Pick a recipe from below and gather your ingredients.
- Use the instructions and tips from the recipe you choose and fill the jar.
Choose a Recipe and Printable TagBrowse through the recipes below and choose your favorite to try or you can simply try them all.
Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
This recipe is for a mix that will make basic chocolate chip cookies.
Chocolate Cookies Recipe
This recipe makes chocolate cookies with some added extras if you like.
Decorative Brownies Recipe
This recipe is for brownies with chocolate chips. You can include walnuts too, if you like.
Deluxe Candy Cookies Recipe
This was one of our favorites. It is a simple cookie recipes that you add candy pieces to it.
Hot Homemade Cookies Recipe
These cookies are made using 2 different kinds of chips and also crisp rice cereal.
M & M Cookies Recipe
Who doesn't love M & M cookies?!?!?
Oatmeal Plus Cookies Recipe
A classic oatmeal cookie recipe that you can spice up by adding raisins.
Decorating the JarUse your imagination and these suggestions to decorate your jars.
- Fabric: Cut a circle out of the fabric that is 6- to 8-inches across. I traced around the top of a bowl. Place the round section of the jar's lid on the jar and center the fabric on that. Screw the other section of the lid in place to hold the fabric. Fluff out the fabric where it comes out from under the lid.
- Recipe: Print out your choice of the printable recipe card/gift tag that goes with the recipe you chose. Trim closely around the recipe and graphic. Put a small piece of scotch tape on the upper right-hand section of the 'Printable Gift Tag' recipe (right behind the top edge of the graphic). This is to give it a little extra strength. Use a hole puncher and make a small hole in the taped corner.
- Ribbon: Cut an approximate 2-foot piece of ribbon. I actually used 2 pieces of ribbon with colors that matched the fabric. Thread the ribbon through the hole in the 'Printable Gift Tag' recipe. Wrap the ribbon around the metal of the jar lid and tie it into a bow. Secure in place with a small dab of glue behind the bow and in the back.
Want to make even more gifts in jars? Check out these resources. If you make a cookies in a jar gift, make sure you send in a photo to be included in this collection. If you want to be one of the first to know when new craft projects are posted, take a few moments to sign up for the Family Crafts Newsletter. You can also talk to other visitors about cookies in a jar and other crafts in the Family Crafts Forum.