Cacien, from France, shared these directions for making clay flower pot people. The clay flower pot person here was made by a a class of 5-year-olds. Cacien had the children paint the clay pots and then they assembled them using the chains. Foam was used as a spacer between the pots. To hold the chains in place, Cacien used a nut and bolt. I modified Cacien's design a little in these directions and made note of the different supplies I used. You can use the supplies and products you prefer!
- Age Guideline: 8 Years and Up
- Time Required: 60 minutes (Does not include drying time)
The above age and time guidelines are estimates. This project can be modified to suit other ages and may take more or less time depending on your circumstances.
- 12 Clay Pots - approximately 17 cm or 6-inches
- 12 Clay Pots - approximately 22 cm or 8-inches
- 2 Clay Pots - approximately 30 cm or 12-inches
- 1 Clay Pot - approximately 26 cm or 10-inches
- Clear Acrylic Sealer - (suggestion from Sherri)
- Strong Glue
- Approximate 3-inch thick styrofoam - approximately 6 feet square
- Small Metal Chain - approximately 3 1/2 meters or 4 yards - (Sherri suggests that you can use thin rope or thick wire instead of chain)
- Paint Brush
- Large, Sharp Knife
- Scissors or Wire Cutters
Start off by painting the pots however you like. You can paint different designs or shapes or paint the pots to look like clothing and a face. The 17 cm or 6-inch pots will be the flower pot person's arms, the 22 cm or 8-inch pots will be the flower pot person's legs, the 30 cm or 12-inch pots will be the body, and the 26 cm or 10-inch pot will be the head. Paint accordingly! Let the paint dry and then seal the paint with several thin coats of clear acrylic sealer.
Use a large knife to cut the styrofoam info 12 pieces, each piece should be approximately 3-inches square. The exact size does not matter a lot, you just need the foam pieces to fit into the bottom of the 6- and 8-inch pots. Once you get them all cut, poke a hole through the center of each styrofoam square so the rope or wire can fit through it.